International Women’s Day I Women Want Adventure
International Women’s Day is all about challenging gender bias and celebrating women’s achievements… which our amazing community does every day!
At Women Want Adventure we believe spending time in nature inspires us to be our best and meaningful experiences through adventure and community empowers us all.
We’re encouraging our community (wherever you are) to join together in multiple locations across Australia for a simultaneous 6.30am sunrise walk to celebrate International Women’s Day 2021.
Women Want Adventure was born from the idea that women thrive in the outdoors… although some of us need a bit of a nudge or often just an invite, to take that first step. SO, we’re asking you to invite other members of the community to join you on your walk AND we’re giving away some prizes to encourage you!
Want to get involved? Here’s what to do…
- Plan a short walk starting at 6.30am on Monday 8 March 2021 (International Women’s Day)
- Invite some friends, family, colleagues, adventure buddies or just bring your puppy!
- If you’d like to, invite members of the Women Want Adventure Facebook Group by creating a comment or event within the group page here. Please include the date, time, exact meeting location, duration (both distance and length of time), difficulty rating, and ask others to comment if they plan to join the walk
- On Monday 8th, take a photo of your group and/or self during the walk and upload it to the Women Want Adventure Facebook group by 7pm on Monday 8 March 2021. The best selfie or group shot will win a $100 Women Want Adventure trip voucher and t-shirt for the woman who organised the walk. Be sure to tag us in your photo so we can pick it up on social channels Facebook or Instagram
We will be keeping an eye on Instagram stories too, so feel free to get creative on your walk with a video!
* Search ‘Women Want Adventure // Australia’ in Facebook groups to find us and invite your friends.
To help you get going, here are some suggested walks:
You could walk around your suburb, to the top of a mountain, around a lake, through the bush or even just to your local café… and hey, it still counts if you’re on the treadmill too! If you need some inspiration, see below:
Top three early morning walks in ACT:
- Bridge to Bridge, in Barton – starting and ending at the flags at Commonwealth Place. This walk is 5km and takes approximately one hour. 6.30am sharp!
- Summiting Mt Painter, in Cook – starting and ending at the dirt carpark on Coulter Drive. This 2.5km walk is short and steep and takes approximately one hour. 6.30am sharp!
- Mulligans Flat Bird Walk, in Forde – starting at the gate off Amy Ackman Street. This 6km bushwalk is mostly flat and takes approximately one and a half hours. 6.30am sharp!
Top three early morning walks in Sydney:
- Clovelly to Bronte (return). Meeting 6.30am out the front of Clovely Surf Life Saving Club (swim after!)
- Centennial Park - Meeting out the front of the Cafe inside the parklands
- Royal National Park - Lady Carrington Drive. Meeting at the start of the trail 6.30am
Top three early morning walks in VIC:
- Yarra River Trail - meeting at Hoddle Bridge 6.30am (20km total) but you can turn back anytime if you need to get to work. Ride your bike even!
- Maribyrnong River loop. Distance: 3km loop (easy). Meeting at Poyntons Nursery. 6.30am sharp!
- Plenty Gorge Walk - meeting at Red Gum Picnic Area (6km) return walk. 6.30am sharp!
Check our this helpful website for trail ideas in Victoria.
Turn up! Look for other women looking for you! It’s all about challenging yourself to get outside early and connect together.
You’ll have no problem getting others to join you in these gorgeous spots! So what are you waiting for? Be brave and start a conversation in the Facebook group! Good luck!
PS - Women Want Adventure is not responsible for taking registrations, bookings or contacts for these walks. This is simply a community invite to challenge you to turn up at a location at 6.30am! The best way to find a walk is to either create one via an event or comment OR search through our posts for something close to you. Ask questions and get talking.
Is there a registration page for the walks? No! We are encouraging women in the community to join our Facebook Group and create an event themselves!
Are these guided walks? No. These are meet up walks by women, for women. Challenge yourself to turn up and have fun!
What if I create an event in the Facebook Group and no-one turns up? That’s okay! It might happen but your outside and ready to walk regardless.
Where do I post a picture of myself or our group walking? Please share in the Facebook Group or tag us on Instagram at @womenwantadventure
Is there a walk happening in WA, QLD or NT? Only if you create one! We would LOVE to see women across Australia jump on board and get walking early before work.
Do all walks leave at 6.30am? Yes. 6.30am SHARP. Wherever you are. No if or buts. Get there and go.
How do we recognise the other women who we are meeting? You may have to challenge yourself to go up to others and ask “are you doing a Women Want Adventure sunrise walk”. International Women’s day this year theme is #choosetochallenge so if your’e nervous to approach a woman, good! It will be a fun conversation and you might make a new walking buddy any our area
If it free to come on the walks? Yes of course!
For other questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org