Trip Duration: 6 days, 5 nights
Dates: Monday 18th Novemeber - Saturday 23rd November 2019
Start and finish Location: LAUNCESTON, Tasmania
Activities:Hiking, Trekking with a full pack, Day Hiking
Accommodation: 3 nights camping, 2 nights hotel (twin share)
Included: All accommodation and meals itemised in itinerary
Group size: 10 women maximum + leaders
Discover a mountain landscape only accessible by foot on this exclusive walk in the magnificent Walls of Jerusalem, Tasmania’s only true alpine National Park.
On this trip we use a comfortable base camp near the main peaks, allowing for delightful day walks with light packs into the heart of this spectacular mountain region. On the rest day we make the short, steep hike up to the base camp with full packs, then set up our tents on raised timber platforms nestled amongst the wilderness. You’ll have the chance to climb King David’s Peak and Mt Jerusalem, from where views stretch across much of Tasmania, or venture to remote outer regions such as Golden Gate or Zion Vale. Each evening we return to camp, situated near a stunning cluster of alpine tarns known as Solomons Jewels, where your guides will prepare gourmet camp meals served with a view.
Utilising the base camp, this trip is an ideal introduction to remote wilderness walking in one of Tasmania’s most pristine alpine environments.
- Spectacular base camp location central to a diverse range of day walking opportunities
- Tasmania’s last remaining stands of ancient pencil pine forests
- Summit numerous mountain peaks including Mt Jerusalem, The Temple and Solomons Throne
- Abundant wildlife and stunning endemic wild owers
- Fascinating highland heritage and historic mountain huts
- Delicious evening meals cooked by your wilderness guides
WHY TRAVEL WITH WOMEN WANT ADVENTURE:
Women Want Adventure trips are a unique experience specifically tailored for women with a community focus. All our leaders are qualified and experienced to ensure your trip is safe and enjoyable. Our services provide more than a travel holiday. Women Want Adventure trips connect like-minded women who want to try new things, push personal boundaries, make lasting friendships and have fun! We make sure trip numbers are suitable for the terrain and all women feel welcome and comfortable on every outdoor encounter.
On this special trip, we have partnered with Tasmania Expeditions. Tasmanian Expeditions has been in continuous operation for over 30 years. We offer economical, reliable, environmentally friendly, small group, fully inclusive adventure holidays to some of the most beautiful and pristine parts of Tasmania.
* All prices are per person and listed in Australian Dollars (AUD). All prices shown are GST inclusive where applicable.
On arrival into Launceston, please make your way to your accommodation.
The tour commences with a COMPULSORY pre-departure briefing at our group pre dinner meet up. We will advise you of the dinner time and location prior to departure. It is essential that you make your travel arrangements to enable you to attend this dinner. Overnight Penny Royal Hotel (or similar) TBA.
Your Women Want Adventure leader will be checking in with you at the accommodation to ensure you also have all the essential gear required for this trip.
The dinner will be approximately 1.5 hour in duration and will include the following:
- An opportunity for you to meet your fellow group members over a complimentary hot beverage
- An outline of the general itinerary/objectives of the tour
- A cross-check of essential gear and clothing required
- Distribution and packing of all hire gear included in the tour price and/or requested
- Explanations of what is expected from the group and individual participants
- Identification of inherent risks of the trip and outline emergency procedures
- Explanation of Leave no Trace principles and overall conservation strategies
- Forecast weather conditions
- An opportunity to pack your backpack with everything required for the trip, leaving it behind, ready for the following days departure.
Meals: Dinner at groups own cost
This morning you will be collected from your hotel in Launceston at approx 8am and transferred to the Walls of Jerusalem National Park (travel time approx. 2 hours). Carrying our full backpacks into this magni cent highland area will provide us with a challenge but we will be given plenty of encouragement from our guides as well as snacks and numerous rest stops along the way.
Once the plateau has been reached, the walking is at and spectacular as we pass by numerous tarns and lakes en route to our base camp for the next 3 nights. On arrival we set up camp, relax and enjoy the amazing surrounds of the rugged mountain of King Davids Peak (1499m).
Walking Distance 7km | Walking Time 4 hours
Today we head out from our camp (carrying just our day packs) passing Lake Salome and the Pool of Bethesda before reaching the imposing dolerite Gate of Damascus. From the Gate we walk through a rare stand of ancient pencil pines, coming to lush grasslands known as Dixons Kingdom. The cultural heritage hut here was built in the early 1930s by Reg Dixon, a trapper of the time.
After a short break enjoying our lush green surrounds, we head off to climb Mt Jerusalem. On a clear day the views from Mt Jerusalem stretch across the central highlands where you will see why the area is referred to as the Land of a Thousand Lakes. Our return route to base camp either takes us through the Gate of the Chain or the Golden Gate. Either way spectacular sub-alpine scenery awaits.
Walking Distance 8-12km | Walking Time 6-8 hours
Today is another bushwalkers dream. After breakfast at our scenic camp, we continue to explore this alpine paradise carrying just day packs. We can climb Solomons Throne from where we have an excellent view of the area we walked on the previous day. From here we head south and enjoy yet more of the lakes, tarns forests and open grass lands that make this such a superb and pristine walking location. For those that are keen there are more opportunities to climb the surrounding peaks such as The Temple and King Davids Peak.
Our last night is spent enjoying the views of the peaks featured along the famous Overland Track from our comfortable camp.
Walking Distance 8-12km | Walking Time 6-8 hours
This morning we bid farewell to this truly outstanding part of Tasmania's World Heritage Area and begin our walk off the plateau. We meander past the sparkling tarns of Solomons Jewels, descend steeply through tall eucalyptus forests lled with melodious bird call, and stop for a rest at the old Trappers Hut. The nal section of gentle downhill track gives us time to re ect on the last six days of outstanding bushwalking.
Just before lunch we meet up with our transfer bus and driver, shrug off our trusty backpacks and drive to Mole Creek village for a celebratory pub meal together. Congratulations on completing one of Tasmania's most magni cent and unforgettable wilderness walks! We drop you at your Launceston accommodation by approximately 5pm. This evening we will enjoy a celebratory farewell meal.
Walking Distance: 7km | Walking Time: 3-4 hours Overnight Penny Royal Hotel (or similar), Launceston meals: B,L,D
Trip concludes. Ladies depart accommodation.
- 2 professional female wilderness leaders
- 3 nights camping at a remote base camp
- 2 nights accommodation/twin share in Launceston
- 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, snacks and hot drinks
- Transport by private minibus
- National Park fees
- Tent, backpack, gaiters
- Sleeping bag, inner sheet & inflatable sleeping mat
- Group camping equipment including all cooking & eating equipment
- Emergency communications & group first aid kit
- Trip escorted by Women Want Adventure leader (Monique Farmer)
- Travel to and from Launceston before and after the trip
- Items of a personal nature: alcoholic beverages, car parking etc
- Travel insurance
- Flights to Launceston
Moderate Hikes - Overnight hikes, some uneven terrain, you need to be reasonably fit and enthusiastic. Suitable for women who walk 2-3 times per week (regular walkers).
There are no reviews for this trip. If you have been on an adventure with us and would like to post a review. Please contact us to submit a review
Back to top