How To Prepare An Overnight Hiking Meal
My partner and I are always looking for new places to explore and cook in, but as there was a lockdown, the furthest we got was our overgrown backyard! What did that mean once regional bans had been lifted?
Take a road trip down to Albany from Perth (around 417kms) as an adventure, because why not! Sorry, let us introduce ourselves actually. I, Vanessa, am a chef who loves the outdoors and my partner Brandi, she does pretty much everything from working with animals, cooking (even for Neil Armstrong once), and working environmental education. So, I guess she’s alright. Together we make a great team, I cook and she does the rest… haha. Okay, let’s get back on track…
For this trip we wanted to experience nature, wildlife and good food in unique locations. On one particular day we summited Mount Frankland for sunset and we were lucky to have the whole summit to ourselves.
I cooked up a simple tasty Nasi Goreng in under 10 minutes, and we had dinner overlooking mountain ranges with the sunsetting (not a bad view at all). We would love you guys to be able to enjoy a moment like this, so here the Nasi Goreng recipe you can follow and try out on your next adventure! Enjoy!
Nasi Goreng Recipe
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Total: 10 minutes
- 1 Egg (Optional)
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Kecap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 (250g) packet Instant Rice
- ½ cup Back Country Cuisine Freeze-Dried Instant Vegetables
- ¼ cup Fried Onion
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Rehydrate Back Country Cuisine Instant Vegetables and set aside.
- In a hot pan add the oil, crack in egg and slowly stir to scramble. Once it is halfway cooked put in the ground ginger, garlic powder and roughly mix.
- Quickly add in the rice, kecap manis, soy sauce and mix thoroughly to ensure rice is not in clumps.
- Drain BCC instant vegetables and add to pan. Cook until golden colour is achieved and rice is al dente.
- Once cooked put into serving bowls, top with fried onion.
Vanessa and Brandi from -
Mount Frankland, Western Australia