This isn t your average day out with the girls .
It s a go-to, adrenaline adventure to try something new, with a group of supportive women, so you can overcome any doubt and giggle (or scream!) your way down a waterfall.
You ll meet Bree, our fabulous canyon guide to help you learn the ropes (literally) and begin the day with a dry abseil.
Abseiling is from Narrow Neck plateau itself, with three different pitches - 5m, 15m, 30m, and this is where we begin the day.
Afterwards we eat lunch at the Conservation Hut before putting on very sexy wetsuits for the Empress Canyon. The thick, warm wetsuit, harness, backpack and helmet are provided to make you look extra adventurieee .
The Empress Canyon consists of majestic rainforest scenery with rock jumps from 2m up to 5m (optional but we dare you!). The day finishes with breath-taking 30m waterfall abseil! The longest swim required to complete is approximately 10m.
Before you get to the waterfall, you will have already gasped at the canyon s beautiful rainforest and sculptured rock, clambered over boulders, leaped into deep pools, and spotted bright orange crayfish.
- Meeting location: Narrowneck Lookout, Cliff Drive Katoomba (there are no bathrooms here)
- Meeting time: 9.30 for 9.45am start
- Finish time: Between 4.30-5.30pm (varies with group pace)
- Expectations: Canyons can be cold and beautiful places. Expect to be cold, wet and tired and even (happy grump). Please discuss this with your friends if booking as a group
- Weight limit: Weight limits can be subjective depending on your height and fitness levels. If you are over 100kg and relatively short, please get in contact with us to see if this trip is suitable for you.
- Grade: Moderate, there is rock scrambling, abseiling down 30m, rock jumps and a steep hill hike out of the canyon. A good level of health and fitness is required, and you should be comfortable on your feet for a minimum of 6.5 hours and have high mobility
WHAT TO BRING
- Your good looks and sense of adventure
- Secure waterproof containers will be provided for personal items
- Durable older clothing. Dress weather appropriately (check weather forecasts)
- Running shoes, joggers or trainers to wear in the canyon (they will get wet). Shoes must be enclosed and have grip
- Swimming attire (wear under clothes and wetsuit)
- 2L of water
- Hair ties for long hair
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Rain jacket (check weather forecasts)
- Gym gloves are useful in the canyon when moving over rocks
- Camera (optional, must be waterproof and strongly tied to your body)
- Leave a spare towel and change of clothes in your car
- Change of footwear
- Please leave valuables at home as we cannot guarantee their safety
- You re welcome to bring any personal snacks with you, these come in handy if a little hungry before lunch
- Licensing and canyon permits
- Experienced and qualified canyon guide
- All safety equipment
- Wetsuits and helmet
- Transport to and from pick up location
Our moderate level trips will see you spending more time outdoors and moving that body of yours for up to 6.5-7 hours on this canyon day. You will need high mobility and expect to be on your feet moving up and down rocks and hills. Physical exercise should not be new to you.
COVID - 19 QUESTIONS
Adventure, travel and Covid-19 is one of those things that naturally gives rise to queries, concerns and doubts, so we re here to put your mind at ease.
To attend any trip with us, all women are required to produce:
* Proof of COVID-19 full vaccination
These new safety measures that apply on all of our trips.
View our Covid-19 Information Page Here.
From what to wear to is Chris Hemsworth single, our FAQs are such know-it-alls. Check them out here.
- So, what exactly is Women Want Adventure? Do I have to be a young, super fit, experienced adventurer to attend? Nope, you certainly do not. You can be a beginner to advanced (or anywhere in-between). Women Want Adventure is all about women coming together to try something new, make friendships, experience challenges, surprises and enjoyment of adventure. Our youngest member is mid 20 s, our oldest is 71, and 75% of women turn up individually.
- Is there a minimum or maximum age limit? All trips are for women over the age of 18 years. We don t have an age limit however, we encourage you to read the grading to ensure you are feeling fit and confident to complete the adventure.
- What do I need to wear dry abseiling? Light shorts or tights with an exercise top. Something you would wear going for a walk at home or to the gym.
- What if it's raining? Most Women Want Adventure trips still go ahead in all types of weather unless electrical storms or flash flooding in the canyon. If it is very wet for the abseiling we will postpone to a later date and email you.
- Can you help arrange my transport and travel? Travel is by individual means only. We do not arrange group transfers. If requested by email, we can assist in connecting you with other women to arrange car-pooling options. However, due to Covid-19, we have not encouraged group sharing.
Some boring, but important stuff!
If you need to cancel, please refer to our T&C's HERE.
Because many of us skim read... here is a quick cancellation summary:
1. 0 to 10 days: No refund
2. 10 to 30 days: 50% refund
3. 31 or more days: 75% refund
Transfers can occur outside 15 day period to the same trip at a later date. Otherwise cancellation fee's apply.